If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Automated Sampling Production Manager
Location: San Diego, California
Position Type: Full-Time, Regular (swing or second shift)
Required Education: B.S. / M.S. with experience
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Laboratory automation, Production pipeline management (biologicals), Mammalian or Plant cell culture systems, Quality Systems Management, Logistics, High Throughput Screening
Job Code: PD2143
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for an Automated Sampling Production Manager. This position will be a part of a team focused on scaling our gene edited trait production pipeline. The position requires a B.S. with 10+ years of experience or M.S. with 7+ years of experience.
The successful applicant will manage a team tasked with carrying out the day-to-day logistics of the automated sampling production platform of plant cell cultures, supporting its patented gene editing technologies. This position will play a critical role in ensuring samples are processed efficiently and accurately using a state-of-the-art custom robotics platform.
- Oversee a team of 3-5 and participate in the day to day responsibilities of the automated sampling team, including operation and troubleshooting of a custom robotics platform.
- Coordinate team scheduling, logistics, and processing of sampling requests of biological materials being advanced in the gene editing pipeline.
- Integrate with cross-functional teams to manage sampling requests, handoffs, and forecast workload expectations. Manage the supply chain and build out shifts to meet increasing production needs.
- Work collaboratively with applications specialists and R&D staff on improving and scaling the automated tissue sampling platform.
- Take ownership of KPIs and QC checkpoints to ensure expected quality and drive continual process improvement.
- Collaborate with development teams to transfer new assays and technologies to the automated production pipeline.
- An expert at managing, building and improving automated workflows for biological tissue sampling pipelines or similar processes.
- Demonstrated success operating and troubleshooting automated robotics platforms.
- Deep understanding of biological material handling in plant or mammalian cell culture systems.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise with strong capabilities to manage a growing team of both direct and indirect reports.
- Leads by example and willing to work side-by-side with reports while using positive strategies to establish a professional environment of trust, respect, and teamwork.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and enable success across functional teams. Able to identify and manage external vendor relationships.
- Proactive communicator with demonstrated success using oral and written strategies to communicate project status and direction.
- Process-oriented mindset with track record of metrics-driven successes. An organizational and data tracking expert.
- Prior experience working with Quality Management Systems and/or LIMS is desired.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends during peak periods.
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology environment is desired, but not essential.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: PD2143.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.