Current Job Openings
Greenhouse Operations Manager
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time
Job Code: PD2007
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to improve nutrition, increase crop yields, and reducing waste.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has launched its first commercial product, SU Canola™, and has a pipeline to traits for canola, rice, flax and potato. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
The ideal candidate will have a B.Sc. or M.Sc. degree in Horticulture, Plant Science, Agronomy, Biology, or related field and a minimum of 5-8 years experience working in a greenhouse and/or horticulture nursery environment, or 1-2 years’ experience managing a research greenhouse or horticultural nursery production environment.
- Manage and direct the daily operation of the Greenhouse department, including administrative operations, space planning, research project support, product development support, EH&S, and supervision of greenhouse operations and support staff.
- Ensure high quality plant culture across all crop projects, including watering, IPM, nutrient feeding, and establishing and monitoring plant growth environments.
- Lead and facilitate cross-functional greenhouse logistics meetings with 10-15 greenhouse, research and production staff.
- Create, plan, and execute greenhouse production cycles and grow space requirements with cross-functional team leads on row crop breeding and production projects.
- Manage greenhouse automation and sensor systems to ensure success of projects, including irrigation and climate control systems.
- Evaluate and deploy new production systems as necessary to meet the requirements of the grow operation.
- Manage greenhouse project supply inventory, oversee all vendor and supply procurement strategies, including inventory management, organization and re-stocking.
- Manage the improvement of greenhouse infrastructure or processes as needed.
- Collaborate with Product Development staff to ensure greenhouse activities accomplish required program goals.
- Manage a team of 4-6 employees including full time and temporary staff to execute program goals.
- Lead the hiring and supervision of greenhouse support staff.
Knowledge, experience, skills:
- Must have experience working with field row crops in a controlled environment facility (greenhouse or growth chamber).
- Knowledge of and demonstrated expertise in the following areas: Integrated Pest Management principles and practices, plant propagation and culture methods, plant nutrients, soil and growth media, automated irrigation systems, greenhouse climate control systems (e.g., Microgrow), and hydroponics.
- Must be familiar with local greenhouse and/or horticultural supply vendors and procurement strategies. Experience in this area is essential.
- 1-2 years’ experience managing a research or horticultural production greenhouse, or 5-8 years’ experience working in a research or horticultural production greenhouse.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Strong organizational and motivational skills, accurate record keeping, and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of basic statistical analysis and experimental design principles.
- Able to use judgment and make routine recommendations for resolving problems in complex assignments.
- Highly proficient in Excel and MS Office suite.
- Manage multiple project responsibilities while meeting deadlines.
- Able to write and follow SOPs and perform troubleshooting on procedures.
- Ability to adapt to minor changes in routine to achieve objectives.
- Coaching and supervisory responsibilities will include supervision of full time and temporary support staff.
- Ability to work under greenhouse conditions, including: lifting, bending and tolerating high temperatures for brief periods is required.
- Must be able to lift 20-50 lbs with or without accommodation.
- Must be able to work in high temperature and humidity conditions periodically throughout the summer months.
Cibus offers competitive compensation and benefits, ongoing on-the-job training, and opportunity to expand knowledge in multiple arenas. A vehicle and mobile phone will be provided.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: PD2007.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.