Current Job Openings
Assistant Plant Breeder
Location: Winnipeg, MB.
Job Code: PD2006
The Assistant Plant Breeder is responsible for the implementation of activities related to the development of Cibus’s Canola Breeding program:
Reporting to Canola Plant Breeder, hands on responsibilities will include driving breeding projects from line evaluation to product selection and trait validation process prior to commercialization. The Assistant Plant Breeder will have oversight for inbred line development and hybrid quality assurance, but not limited to:
- Manage introgression of important agronomic characteristics into diverse genetic backgrounds using traditional, marker assisted selection and other breeding methodologies.
- Confirm phenotypic performance of converted inbreds and hybrids in both greenhouse and field settings.
- Manage quality assessment of seeds and pure seed increase for pre-commercial pipeline prior to commercial advancement.
- Assist in the development and validation of breeding strategies and manage portions of the selection process within breeding populations using traditional and advanced breeding tools, including genomic and advanced analytics.
- Perform requirements necessary to monitor, support, cultivate, and maintain progress towards breeding objectives regarding plant material grown in greenhouse and field environments.
- File discovery disclosures, PBR, PVP, and VRO as appropriate.
- Liaise with regulatory, breeding, commercial and external partners on project timelines to ensure product handoff milestones are achieved. Actively participate in multi-disciplinary teams focused on breeding, trait advancement and commercialization of products.
- Supervise number of full time Research Assistants & Associates and/or contract employees.
- Ideal candidate has a minimum M.Sc. degree or 3-5 years of relevant experience in commercial breeding program, in one of the agricultural sciences (Plant Science, Plant Breeding & Genetics). Prior industry experience including knowledge of seed and/or trait product development closely or within a breeding program is a plus.
- Team player with a flexible attitude and the ability to prioritize workload, foster strong relationships and handle multiple demanding tasks and deadlines
- Extraordinary attention to detail, record keeping, and organizational skills
- Knowledge of statistical analysis and experimental design principles.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills, Proficient with Microsoft Outlook, Word & Power Point. Experience in management of breeding projects in relational database environment (i.e.Agrobase) and Analytics (Machine Learning) an asset.
- Knowledge and understanding of line conversion, trait introgression, marker assisted selection methods, and breeding methods and timelines
- Strong initiative, and time management skills
- Able to use judgment and make recommendations for resolving problems in complex assignments. Apply technical leadership and organizational skills to drive standardization and efficiency across product and pre-commercial development pipelines.
- Fluent in English
- Ability to travel in USA and Canada (up to 25%) and occasional to Chile.
- Valid Driver License required
- Ability to work under greenhouse and/or field conditions, including: lifting, bending and tolerating high temperatures and/or humidity, dust and pollen for periods of time.
- Must be able to lift 20-50 lbs with or without accommodation.
- Ability to work weekends and evenings as required for plant care and experimental completion. Ability to adapt to changes in routine to achieve objectives.
- A self-starter who thrives on new challenges and is not afraid to jump in and take on new tasks
- Strong foundation in following, developing, and troubleshooting SOPs.
- Willing to obtain a pesticide applicator’s license and operation of field equipment.
Cibus is a biotechnology company using advanced gene editing to lead the development of new traits for the global agricultural seed industry. Its family of technologies, known as the Rapid Trait Development System, RTDS™, is broadly applicable to all organisms, including plants, yeast, bacteria, and algae. RTDS edits genes without integrating foreign genetic material to speed development of products genetically indistinguishable from those found in nature. New traits are designed to help agriculture provide more sustainable food sources and reduce agriculture’s impact on the environment, reducing the impact of climate change. Cibus has established crop platforms in canola, rice, flax, potato, and is developing platforms in wheat, corn, soybean, and peanut. New traits provide access to multiple royalties through a well-established business model in the multi-billion-dollar global seed market. The company has subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego, California.
Job code: PD2006