If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Group Leader – Protein Engineering
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time
Required Education: PhD
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Protein Engineering and Evolution, Molecular Biology, Gene Editing
Job Code: MD2273
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Group Leader – Protein Engineering who will help us to revolutionize plant breeding using our unique, patented gene editing technology. This position will lead protein engineering efforts to discover next generation gene editing targets that will improve plant health and agricultural sustainability. The successful applicant will have deep expertise with protein engineering and enzyme evolution, demonstrated ability to leverage computational approaches, and strong leadership capabilities. This position offers an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual to lead and influence across a dynamic company focused on cutting edge gene editing technology.
- Lead and grow a Protein Engineering team responsible for identifying new gene editing targets for next-generation crop traits such as weed control, disease resistance, nitrogen use, and oil quality.
- Provide leadership, training, and coaching of direct and indirect reports. Enable career development growth by ensuring alignment of individual, team, and company objectives. Work side-by-side with team members to help drive success in the lab.
- Integrate with the Computational Biology team to predict new target opportunities and jump start in the lab efforts.
- Define and implement short and long-term objectives to expand efforts into new traits and grow the technology platform.
- Collaborate with Technology Development and Crop teams to transfer new targets into the gene editing pipeline.
- Be the voice for Protein Engineering across the company.
- Identify and manage external interactions with service providers and collaborators.
- Ph.D. degree in a Biological or Engineering Science with 8+ years of experience working in a protein engineering or similar environment.
- Deep expertise with protein engineering and evolution and molecular biology technologies. An understanding of gene editing technology is also desired.
- Demonstrated ability to leverage computational, structural biology, and high-throughput screening approaches to engineer new and/or altered protein activities.
- Strong experience with microbial complementation assays and building variant libraries through directed and random approaches.
- A skilled motivator with a demonstrated ability to lead and manage direct and indirect reports to achieve technical and professional growth success.
- Leads by example and has a strong sense of accountability. Willing to work side-by-side with reports while using positive strategies to establish a professional environment of trust, respect, and collaboration.
- Is driven to empower others to succeed. A strong collaborator who can work across diverse teams to drive projects to completion. Prioritizes team and company achievement as the path to individual success.
- Strong proactive communicator with demonstrated success using oral and written strategies to communicate project status and direction.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage external interactions.
- Prior experience working in plant biotechnology environment is desired but not essential.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: MD2273.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.