If you are ready to explore a career in which you have an opportunity to truly innovate, discover, and positively benefit our planet alongside a dynamic team, please submit your resume to .
Lab Support Technician
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Type: Full-Time/Contract
Required Education: Associates degree or equivalent
Job Code: LS2264
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile, and low-cost way to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing nature's own genetic diversity. Cibus is working to develop the first industrialized gene-editing platform through standardized, scaled production capability known as the Cibus Trait Machine.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has a pipeline of traits for canola and rice and is developing crop platforms and a pipeline of trait products in other major global crops including soybean, corn, and wheat. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Cibus has an immediate opening for a Contract Laboratory Assistant to help us to revolutionize plant breeding using our unique gene editing technology to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing Nature's own genetic diversity.
The successful applicant will help provide essential laboratory support across Cibus’ R&D pipeline. This position will work as part of a team and be expected to independently perform all duties associated with the maintenance of lab stock and glassware including:
- Washing, drying, and sterilizing glassware and distributing it to appropriate locations within the lab.
- Oversee and maintain the glass-washing facility, sterilize glassware and other items using an autoclave as well as perform routine maintenance of glass-washing equipment and routine maintenance of other lab equipment.
- Inventory common lab supplies and submit requests for ordering.
- Will be required to receive all incoming products, match packing slips to corresponding PO’s and enter the information into a database.
- Will be required to do a daily walk-through to check on all critical equipment as well as spotting any potential problems.
- Handling and autoclaving lab waste.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree (or equivalent) in a scientific discipline with 0+ years of experience. HS diploma with 1-3 years of experience in a research and/or development environment or related field will also be considered.
- Previous laboratory or autoclave experience.
- Previous receiving experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with trouble shooting and streamlining processes is a plus.
- Ability to work in glassware room conditions, including tolerating humid conditions is required.
- Familiarity with aseptic techniques
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are essential.
- Good organizational and motivational skills, accurate record keeping, and attention to detail.
- Able to use judgment to resolve problems and troubleshoot routine assignments.
- Familiarity with Excel and MS Office suite.
- Ability to multi-task routine assignments, ensuring a high degree of accuracy and precision.
- Able to follow SOPs.
- Ability to adapt to minor changes in routine to achieve objectives.
- Capable of standing for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift/carry at least 50 lbs. and push/pull up to 150 lbs.
- Free from any allergies related to plants.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: LS2264.