Current Job Openings
Intern – Plant Cell Biology
Location: San Diego, CA
Position: Intern in Plant cell Biology
Required Education: High School diploma/BS
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Biological Sciences, Biotechnology
Job Code: CB2009
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to improve nutrition, increase crop yields, and reducing waste.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has launched its first commercial product, SU Canola™, and has a pipeline to traits for canola, rice, flax and potato. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
Minimum: High school diploma (knowledge in general biology and chemistry)/B.Sc. in plant/cell biology, plant biotechnology, plant physiology or related field
- Conduct experiments involving plant cell and tissue culture (protoplast techniques, somatic embryogenesis, suspension cultures, shoot regeneration, micropropagation) and DNA delivery methods.
- Investigate, create and develop new methods and technologies for project advancement and to further understand the cellular processes involved in the application of Cibus’ proprietary technology.
- Utilize scientific literature to design experiments and improve methods
- Perform quantitative analysis, prepare technical reports, protocols, written and oral presentations.
- Participate in the preparation and improvement of SOPs.
- Candidate should be available to work for 6-8 hours per day on a weekly basis.
Knowledge, experience, skills:
- Experience working with aseptic techniques, plant cell and tissue cultures.
- Familiarity with microscopy, microphotography, imaging software, and cytometry is a plus.
- Basic knowledge and experience with RTDS and plant protoplast/cell culture methods and in vitro plant regeneration systems is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and motivational skills, accurate record keeping, and attention to detail.
- Able to use judgment and make routine recommendations for resolving problems in moderately complex assignments.
- Highly proficient in Excel and MS Office suite. MS Access or other database experience a plus.
- Manage multiple tasks while meeting deadlines.
- Able to follow SOPs and perform troubleshooting on procedures.
- Ability to adapt to minor changes in routine to achieve objectives.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: CB2009.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.